NBN Co has promised the new National Broadband Network will give us even faster internet. At its highest speed, the NBN offers speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps). It provides much faster performance than a regular broadband ADSL service and is not affected by the distance from your telephone exchange, however some of the factors that affect ADSL speed can still impact your NBN speed.
It is important to note that the speeds listed are the maximum NBN speeds as advertised by suppliers and that these might not be what you actually experience at your house.
Key factors that will affect the actual speed of the NBN connection include:
- The number of people sharing your modem
- The hardware that you are using (the capacity of your router)
- The source of the content that you are downloading
- Demand on the network and local internet traffic
- Hardware limits of your home computer
For the fastest speeds, you need a wired connection between your device and modem, with no other users or devices sharing your modem.