About WhistleOut

We're Australia's leading search engine for telecommunications products. Compare plans for Mobile Phones, Broadband, Tablets & Pay TV

Search Plans

Do I need a new modem for NBN?

If it is fibre to the node (FTTN) or fibre to the basement (FTTB) you need a VDSL2 compatible modem. As long as your modem is compatible it should work, if not your service provider should provide one.

If your home connection is fibre to the premises (FTTP) where the fibre runs all the way to your house comes with an NTD which is a box mounted on the wall and all you need in this case is a wireless router.

For Fixed Wireless where you have a transmitter installed on your house or roof that points at a transmission tower this also comes with an NTD and all you need is a wireless router.

When you talk to the service provider let them know your needs and they should be able to recommend the correct modem and/or router.

Note that some suppliers will not provide tech support if you don't use one of their certified modems/routers.

Article updated at



Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.